Sunday, August 21, 2011

Irresistibly Sweet Blog Award and Seven Things About Me



So it turns out I've had the great honor of being nominated for an Irresistibly Sweet Blog Award. Four times actually; Monty (All Good Things), Clara (Via Margutta 51), Dawn (Noir and Chick Flicks), and Dorian (Tales of the Easily Distracted) all ganged up on me. You guys. To be nominated by such a cool crowd of bloggers is truly overwhelming. Unfortunately, I can't talk about how sweet you all are without making horrible puns and I've used up all my jokes from The Oscar so I'll just say thank you. Thank you and thank you and thank you.

The stated rules of this award are that you have to pass it on to 12 of your fellow bloggers. Normally I would do just that, but this time, I'm going to forgo that step. This particular award has been making the rounds for a while now, so I think most of my would-be honorees have already been named. Therefore, in lieu of naming 12 blogs, I'm going to direct all my readers to turn their attention to my blog roll, pick out a few blogs they don't know, and do some exploring. I have a very long, very wonderful blog roll.

The other rule of the award is to give seven random facts about yourself. So, for those who are interested...

1. I was born in a town with a population of 2,500. Although I've lived in bigger cities since, I'm a small-town girl at heart. My hometown is so cute, it was once used as the setting for a Hallmark Christmas movie.

2. As a little girl, I longed to wear glasses since all the rest of my family did, with the exception of my mom who wore contacts. Although my eyesight stubbornly remained good, I would occasionally steal my dad's glasses and wear them perched on my nose while I tried to play Tetris on our old Nintendo.

3. I taught myself Gregg shorthand during my free moments at my work-study job in college. I've forgotten most of it, but I keep meaning to go back and re-learn. Call it a personal resolution.

4. My favorite food in the world is beef stew.

5. I'm a stickler for spelling and grammar and I inevitably dissolve into a puddle of mortification whenever I catch any obvious mistakes on my blog entries.

6. My childhood loves include Disney, Beethoven, Faerie Tale Theatre, the American Girl series (before it got sold to Mattel), encyclopedias, Oregon Trail, cross-stitching, craft kits, and Panati's Extraordinary Origins of Everyday Things.

7. I started this blog because I love talking about classic film, and I rarely got the chance to do it in my everyday life. It was a good decision.

...You know what this post is missing? James Cagney and puppies!


Cagney and the puppies are credited to Dahlia Delilah.

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations and thank you on behalf of the universe for the Cagney/puppies pic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way about #5. I'm sure there are things I don't know and mess up on all the time, but I proofread each post compulsively and am always afraid of making embarrassing or obvious errors!

    About #6: I still love the American Girl books (though I DID like them a lot better before they sold out to Mattel. Grr!).

    You can never have enough Cagney and puppies! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura: Thanks. They should have a whole calendar, Cagney and puppies.

    Audrey: Let us paranoid grammarians unite. And yay for a fellow American Girl fan! Wish I hadn't given all my books away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blogging got a lot easier for me once I decided that a) grammatical mistakes and factual errors are par for the course, and b) my blog has an edit button, so I can stop the bleeding once I notice it. I do try to be a stickler, though. You might get a kick out of this, by the way.

    Fun fact about myself: I once watched Night of the Living Dead from the safety of a fort built from couch cushions. I doubt it was 100 percent zombie-proof.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vulnavia: Ha, that was a great comic. So true. And for some reason, I always seem to notice mistakes after I've posted, no matter how many times I proofread it beforehand. Ah well, as you say, that's what the edit button is for.

    ReplyDelete