Thursday, June 30, 2011

Blogathon Round-Up


So, the Roger Corman Blogathon has wrapped it up. With a grand total of 21 entries, each on a different Corman film. This was an incredibly fun blogathon and I think Corman himself would have been impressed with the creativity, humor, and smarts of all those who participated. And of course, the enthusiasm of our host Nathanael, the man behind Forgotten Classics of Yesteryear, was an inspiration.

On a different corner of the blogosphere, Caroline over at Garbo Laughs, brought us the Queer Film Blogathon on June 27th. And damn, I knew it was going to be good, but it wasn't until I started digging through the entries, that I realized just how brilliant my fellow bloggers are. There were over 60 entries and although I still haven't shoveled my way through all of them, I haven't found a weak entry in the bunch. And Caroline led the way with her own excellent analysis and insight. 

I think my favorite part of blogathons, even more than the writing or the reading, is meeting people from all corners of the blogosphere. Experts in horror film, classic film, foreign film, independent film. And then people who weren't film bloggers at all, but ventured out anyway. I got to chat with so many different people. Smart, talented, funny people. It's amazing and kind of awe-inspiring. I know that by the time the next blogathon rolls around, I'll be working furiously to up my game.

Oh, did I say next blogathon? 'Cause there's another one coming up.


The inexhaustible Nathanael, fresh from conquering the Worlds of Corman, has declared a new blogathon: Monster Movie Mania!

From July 27th through August 3rd, he'll be hosting a celebration of 1950s monster movies. Nate can explain it better than I can, but basically, participants choose a movie that was made from 1950 to 1959 that features some kind of monster. That includes aliens, demons, robots, mutated humans, mummies, vampires, anything so long as it's from the 50s. The film can be from any country, so you're not limited to Hollywood. Anyone who's interested can pop over to his blog and choose a film to review. It's first-come, first-served, so better hurry over and pick your flick. Nate is also promising awards and prizes, as he did for the Corman blogathon (Nate, if you're reading this, I think you spoil your bloggers), so if you need a little incentive...

I'm looking at this list right now and I notice nobody's picked The Fly yet. Or The Incredible Shrinking Man. And I Married a Monster from Outer Space is still available. Grab 'em while you can, people.


And if you need some help getting in the mood, Where Danger Lives is starting a Countdown of the 50 Greatest Classic Sci-Fi Posters. Not to be missed.

6 comments:

  1. And in a shameless plug, let me add that True Classics is also hosting a blogathon on August 6th to mark Lucille Ball's centenary! We'd love to have you participate if you are so inclined. :)

    http://trueclassics.wordpress.com/2011/06/02/blogging-for-lucy/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing at all wrong with shameless plugs. I've heard of the Lucy blogathon, but I hadn't really looked at it before. *Pops over to the link*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my dear...I spoil my bloggers because they're worth it.

    Bloggers like you make this hobby of our's worth it. I wish that every blogger could share your skill and enthusiasm!

    More news on the next blogathon will be posted in a few days.

    Don't forget! We're still 15 short from our goal of 40 bloggers! Invite your friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and I just launched a new blog:

    http://natesminireviews.blogspot.com/

    It's basically me doing mini reviews of all of the films that I see. Nothing fancy...just bare bones reviewing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Speaking of blogathons...

    You (and your readers) are cordially invited to participate in the first-ever Carole Lombard blogathon. From Oct. 6 to 9, “Carole & Co.” will sponsor “Carole-tennial(+3)!” named for the 103rd anniversary of Lombard’s birth. You can learn more about it (along with banners you can borrow) at http://carole-and-co.livejournal.com/427564.html.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A Carole Lombard blogathon? I'm definitely heading over.

    ReplyDelete